Friday, June 14, 2013

Unit 2- Motion



All Motion is Relative

While looking through some old pictures of mine to relate to this topic, I found this image I took about a few years ago. From what I remember, these fellas were running away from me after they felt my presence (aha), and they all ran from different locations. 
Lets say I am the starting point, at point A. Sheep 1 is also at point A, at 0 meters, Sheep 2 is at point B, at 3 meters, and Sheep 3 is at point C, at 5 meters. Once they realized that I was there, their flight or fight response kicked in, (in which they chose flight), and they galloped away. 
Sheep 1 is the one closest to me and gets startled the most, so she sprints away and even accelerates to reach a safe 30 meters. Sheep 2 is able to keep a pretty steady pace, and eventually reaches a relatively safe 24 meters. Sheep 3 has the least to worry about, being 5 meters away to begin with, becomes careless, trips and stumbles leaving him at 20 meters in a period of 10 seconds. 

 So this graph shows everything I explained, and a little more. The one point, where all the lines intersect at 8 seconds and 20 meters represents the moment in which all three sheep were in the exact same location at the exact same time. Because motion is relative, if the sheep looked at each other at this exact time of the intersection, they would not appear to be moving to each other, even though it is evident that sheep one is moving the fastest.


2 comments:

  1. I really like how in depth your explanation is and you have a graph to help back up your information. The graph really helps me visualize the explanation. I also think its great that you talk about all of the relationships between each sheep at different points in time. Nice picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome picture and a good way to explain relativity.

    ReplyDelete